Saturday, April 21, 2007

Cuba - the hotel

Jon and I have recently returned from Havana, Cuba. We were there from April 15-19. Below are pictures from the rooftop of our hotel in Havana, the NH Parque Central. The location was perfect - right in the heart of Old Havana.


Overlooking Parque Central (see my note at the bottom as to why the park is lit up). The Capitolo is on the right all lit up in yellow and blue.


Capitolo in the back, a hotel in the front.


The hotel's rooftop swimming pool at night.


Jon and I having a ""romantic" dinner in the rooftop restaurant with the pool in the background.


The hotel's rooftop swimming pool during the day. I actually laid out in the sun and got a hint of colour. I remembered my sun screen. I can't say that for everyone there.


On our first night we thought this building was vacant. We found out that two of the floors are a school and there are stores on the main floor.


Parque Central during the day with the Capitolo in the back.

On our final night we decided to have "romantic" dinner at the rooftop restaurant. However, in Parque Central, there was a large group as well as a large screen. A man's voice we could hear over the loud speaker (of course we couldn't understand what he was saying) and lots of cheering. We thought that since it was the anniversary of the Bay of Pigs, it was probably Fidel Castro's speech from 1961 (I believe). How romantic! After dinner we ventured over and found out that it was a baseball game they were playing on the large screen! A baseball game! It was the team from Havana against their arch rival from Santiago (the only two teams in Cuba) competing in their World Series. Havana lost 19-6. As I said, a "romantic" dinner.

More pictures to follow.

No comments: